Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tuesday's Real Food Recipe- Coconut Oil "Candy Bars"

Going along with our "Simplifying your switch to whole foods" series, I thought it fitting to add a recipe that I recently made to add coconut oil to my diet.  I found that I don't really like adding it to my smoothies because it affects the texture, so besides cooking with it (and it is a good cooking oil because it is stable at high temperatures), I wanted to eat more of it throughout the day because it boosts metabolism, energy, and does NOT make you fat!  Here is a recipe that you can use as a nice snack about 20 minutes before meals, or a sweet treat that is GOOD for you. 
Coconut Oil "Candy Bars"














items needed
small silicone baking cups (2 TBSP) (I have cute little heart-shaped ones which may be easy to find right now close to Valentine's day)
1 cup organic, cold-pressed coconut oil
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
 whole almonds-2 per candy  (optional)
4 tbsp of stevia or honey, or to taste
4 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
sprinkle of course grey tamise sea salt

soften coconut oil (not quite melted).  Add about 4 tbsp stevia or honey and cocoa powder, mix thoroughly.  Sprinkle shredded coconut and whole almonds in the bottom of the silicone baking cups.  Pour 2 tbsp mixture into each cup, refrigerate and enjoy!  I added a little dollop of honey to the tops of mine because this first batch I didn't add any sweetener.  It really needed a little, so thus the dollop of golden wonder.  Sprinkle a little grey tamise on the top for that salty/sweet flourish!

*To make in an 8x8 bar pan- double the recipe, mix the almonds and shredded coconut together and spread evenly in the bottom of your pan.  Refrigerate and cut into small squares!

*optional- add different dried fruits, nuts or even peanut butter!  Adding peanut butter or almond butter would give it a more fudge-like consistency vs. a truffle consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment